Andrew Weaver is just another BC politician claiming more expertise about housing than those building & selling homes for a living.
- Demand caused by large millennial demographic predicted in Foot’s book Boom, Bust & Echo https://www.vrba.ca/boom-bust-echo-summer-reading-for-bc-govt/
- Greenbelts like ALR & municipal Urban Containment Boundaries restrict growth) https://www.vrba.ca/vrba-speech-at-oak-bay-town-hall-re-speculation-tax/
- Small community groups, municipal councilors obstruct density in areas available for housing https://www.vrba.ca/recipe-zero-development/
- Australian study shows prices rise by big double-digits due to zoning restrictions https://www.vrba.ca/higher-taxes-wont-make-homes-affordable/
- Housing now used as cash machine by govts (PTT GST DCCs fees amenities) https://www.vrba.ca/saanich-development-costs-escalate/
- CD Howe Institute shows govt regs & fees add more than quarter million to new homes in Victoria housing https://www.vrba.ca/govt-regulations-cost-quarter-million-dollars/
These facts don’t play into most BC politicians’ scripts requiring scapegoats.
Historically, prices experience double-digit increases after periods of stagnation, most recently experienced from 2009 – 2015. From 2003 to 2005, housing prices also increased 41% after a period of stagnation. Nobody blamed pensioners, out-of-province Canadians or foreign buyers – now the favourite villains of any uninformed politician with voters or media within earshot.